Sunday, December 17, 2006

Veiled Islamic woman kicked off bus still upset




GRAND RAPIDS -- Five months after she was denied a ride on a public bus because her face was covered by a traditional Islamic veil, Tasha Douglas still is unable to talk about the incident without becoming upset.

Douglas said she only now reluctantly is speaking out because her experience was made public last week when officials from The Rapid bus system cited it as the reason they rescinded a policy that barred people with face coverings from boarding.

The 30-year-old Grand Rapids resident hopes by coming forward she will raise awareness that public agencies and private businesses should be sensitive to religious dress.

"I cannot express enough how this has devastated me. I was hurt. I was humiliated. I wanted to cry," said Douglas, who broke down in tears while being interviewed. "I didn't tell my family members. I didn't tell anyone at first. But I have a daughter and I don't want her to be ashamed to cover her face."

Entire article here.

or http://michaelsavage.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment